Dual Language Academy (DLA)
The Fullerton School District Dual Language Academy (DLA) program offers two languages: Spanish and Korean
DUAL LANGUAGE MISSION STATEMENT The mission of Fullerton School District’s Dual Language Academy
is for all students to reach high levels of academic achievement, develop biliteracy and bilingualism, and cultivate cross-cultural competencies needed to succeed in a multicultural society and global economy.
GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
- Develop bilingualism and biliteracy in two languages
- Cultivate cultural awareness
- Reach high levels of academic achievement
- High academic achievement in all core subjects in both languages
- Native English speakers often meet or exceed the performance of their peers with the added benefit of being bilingual
- Additional cognitive benefits require increased levels of concentration not typical of a monolingual brain
- Promotes global awareness, increases collaboration, improves self-esteem, and stronger cross-group relationships
INSTRUCTIONAL MODELFullerton School District offers both 90:10 (Spanish) and 50:50 (Korean) dual-language programs. The Spanish DLA program begins in Transitional Kindergarten, and the Korean DLA program begins in Kindergarten. The target language is taught through content, not as a separate course of study.Dual Language classes are taught by fully credentialed bilingual teachers who have additional preparation and expertise in teaching in both English and the target language. PARENT RESOURCES
California Department of Education- Two Way Language Immersion FAQ
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition
Multilingual Children’s Association
INTENT TO REGISTER
- Thank you for your interest in registering in Fullerton School District's Dual Language Academy.
- The intent is not a registration form but allows the District to anticipate registration needs for placement in the Dual Language Program for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Registration to the program requires a Kindergarten through Eighth-grade commitment, with the exception of extenuating circumstances.
- Please check the District website for periodic updates and information regarding the Dual Language Academy.
@FSDduallanguageFor additional information about the program, please contact Erlinda Soltero-Ruiz, Ed.D., Director,Educational Services at 714-447-7416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Intent to Register in Fullerton School District's Spanish Dual Language Academy
Intent to Register in Fullerton School District's Korean Dual Language Academy