For the latest COVID-19 information and updates from the California Department of Public Health, visit the CDPH Coronavirus Disease 2019 webpage.
En Español: Para obtener los Comunicados de Prensa en Español, visite nuestra página de Comunicados de Prensa.
Preventing the Spread of the Coronavirus
Actively working to prevent the spread of disease remains the most important thing we can do at this point. Standard precautions to prevent the spread of infectious diseases such as cold and flu apply to coronavirus. These include:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid hugging and shaking hands.
- Try to stay at least six feet away from anyone who appears to be sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash. If no tissue is available, cough into the crook of your arm.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
- Individuals with chronic health issues and/or individuals experiencing severe symptoms should be evaluated by a medical professional.
- Get vaccinated for flu every year.
Talking to Kids about Coronavirus
Giving kids accurate, age-appropriate information in a calm and reassuring way can help them cope with uncertainty created by the coronavirus. Click the links below for valuable advice about how to best talk to kids about coronavirus.