July 26, 2016
Dear Valencia Park Families,
Welcome to the 2016-17 school year! I hope you had a fun and restful summer break filled with family and friends. We have a great year ahead of us, and I look forward to partnering with you to provide the best learning opportunities possible for your children.
As I enter into my fifth year at Valencia Park, I am filled with pride that we have accomplished so much together. We have earned the following prestigious awards and recognitions: Golden Ribbon Award, Common Sense Media Certified Digital Citizenship School, Apple Distinguished Program School, California Business for Education Excellence Honor Roll School, Golden Bell Award winner, recipient of a Title I Academic Achievement Award, and a Cotsen Art of Teaching School. Our teachers and administrators have presented their expertise at state and national technology conferences. While these recognitions are impressive, what stands out most is the increased student engagement and learning that is so evident in our classrooms. We are confident that your child will receive a quality and personalized educational program. Furthermore, each child will continue to have an iPad to use at school, and 5th and 6th graders will also be able to use their school iPads at home.
While the education of our students is our passion and top priority, the safety of our students is our very highest priority. During the 2015-16 school year, we made changes to increase campus safety such as locking the gate by Room 17 and having all students enter campus through the front gate. As you may have read in the flyers we sent home at the end of the 2015-16 school year, Valencia Park is going to become a secure campus. This means that only students will be allowed onto campus. This change will begin the second week of school, on Monday, August 15, 2016. During the first week of school, from August 8th through 12th, parents will be able to escort students onto campus. Beginning Monday, August 15th, parent goodbyes will need to take place at the front welcome gate (next to the office), and all parent visitors will need to sign-in at the office. Please rest assured that students will be supervised at all times. Thank you for your supporting the safety of our students and your children. For more information, please read the enclosed FAQ sheets or attend an informational meeting on Thursday August 11th at either 8:00 a.m. or 5:00 p.m.
As your children prepare to start a new grade level, we want you to know that some teachers have left our team, and some are joining our team. First, we bid a fond farewell to Mrs. Mills and Ms. Rowe who all accepted the opportunity to transfer to other Fullerton Schools, and to Mr. Jones who retired. We congratulate Mrs. Segundo who was promoted to Interim Assistant Principal at Orangethorpe School and tp Mr. Myers who was promoted to a position in our Fullerton School District’s All the Arts Foundation. We are excited to welcome two dynamic, experienced, and highly qualified teachers to our team: Mrs. Ramirez will be teaching kindergarten and Mrs. Beijer will be teaching 4th grade. We are also finalizing our selection for a new 1st Grade teacher who will be joining our team.
Valencia Park is a busy school with much to offer! We hope you will stay in-touch with the many activities taking place at Valencia Park by liking our Facebook page called “Valencia Park School,” following us on Twitter @VPLions, downloading our iBook in the iBook store, and/or visiting our school website at http://www.fullertonsd.org/valencia/.
Here is some important information to help make the first few weeks of school a success:
- Our office is now open! We are open from 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL: School begins on Monday, August 8th at 8:15 a.m.
- Kindergarten parents — Please meet your child’s teacher in the multi-purpose room at 8:10 a.m. We will have a brief kindergarten orientation before we release students to their teachers.
- 1st through 6th grade students — line up at the designated area on the playground.
- Lunch Applications – Please be sure to renew your child’s lunch application either online or in person at the Nutrition Center, located at 389 W. Truslow Avenue, Fullerton. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. and have Spanish speaking staff. Their phone number is 714-447-7435.
- Breakfast will be served Monday through Friday from 7:45 a.m.to 8:05 a.m. In order to maintain compliance with state regulations and our new Secure Campus Policy, parents will not be allowed in the breakfast area. We will have a supervisor on duty every morning to watch and help students, as needed.
- Students should arrive on campus no later than 8:10 a.m. so that they can be in their seats and ready to learn by 8:15 a.m., when school starts.
- Please note that children may not be dropped off at school before 7:45 a.m., as there is no adult supervision until that time.
- Class lists for all students will be posted on Friday, August 5, at 4:00 p.m.
- SAVE THE DATE – Back to School Night will be Thursday, August 25th from 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. More information will follow in your child’s Red Wednesday Communication folder.
During the first week of school, you will receive a letter directing you to update parent and student information online. Please call our office at 714-447-7755 if you have any questions or concerns. Everyone on staff is here to make your child’s experience a positive and rewarding one. Please let us know how we can assist your child in receiving the best education possible.
Mrs. Morris, Principal