Dual Language Academy
The Fullerton School District is pleased to announce the implementation of a Dual Language Academy in the 2016-2017 school year at Raymond Elementary School. The goal of a Dual Language Program is for students to develop bilingualism and biliteracy in both English and a partner language, demonstrate high levels of academic achievement, and cultivate positive cross-cultural attitudes. Balanced numbers of native English speakers and native speakers of the target language are taught literacy and academic content in both languages so that each group serves in the role of language model and language learner as their acquire language and knowledge in core academic areas.
Students who enroll in the Dual Language Program will learn to read, write, and speak in English and Spanish beginning in Kindergarten. Whatever language you desire for your child, learning it will make a difference in how he or she views the world!
|The mission of Fullerton School District’s Dual Language Academy
is for all students to reach high levels of academic achievement, develop biliteracy and bilingualism, and cultivate cross-cultural competencies needed to succeed in a multicultural society and global economy.
|GOALS OF THE PROGRAM
- Develop bilingualism and biliteracy in two languages
- Cultivate cultural awareness
- Reach high levels of academic achievement
- High academic achievement in all core subjects in both languages
- Metacognitive flexibility
- Linguistic and cultural backgrounds viewed as a resource
- Develops bilingualism and biliteracy
- Positive cross-cultural attitudes
- Narrows the achievement/opportunity gap
- English Language Proficiency – English and Spanish speakers benefit equally from instruction in both languages
- Bilingualism – 90:10 model develops higher levels of bilingual proficiency
- Spanish Language Proficiency more likely to occur in a 90:10 model
- All students become proficient in both languages
- 90/10 Model
- Common Core State Standards
- Spanish Language Arts Standards
- 90% – Spanish
- Language Arts/Reading
- Social Studies
- 10% – English – Language Arts instruction
- Equal numbers of English Language Learners and English Proficient Students
- Equal numbers of boys and girls
|Click on Brochure for more info
|INTENT TO REGISTER
- Thank you for completing the Intent to Register form for the Fullerton School District Dual Language Immersion Program.
- This is not a registration form, but allows the District to anticipate registration needs for placement in the Dual Language Program for the 2017-2018 school year. Please complete and return by February 14, 2017 to the District Office located at 1401 West Valencia Drive, Fullerton, CA 92833.
- Registration for the Dual Language program will be completed and processed through the District Office.
- Registration to the program requires a Kindergarten through Eighth grade commitment to the program, with the exception of extenuating circumstances.
- Please check the District website for periodic updates and information regarding the Dual Language Immersion Academy.
- Please return the completed form to the Fullerton School District, Educational Services – Attention: Rossana Fonseca
California Department of Education- Two Way Language Immersion FAQ
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquistion
Multilingual Children’s Association
Intercultural Development Research Association
|For additional information about the program, please contact Rossana Fonseca, Coordinator, Educational Services at 714-447-7416 or email@example.com